To obtain a U visa, an individual must be the victim of a certain type of crime, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and others. They must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime AND must be willing to assist law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

To apply for a U visa, an individual must first obtain a certification from a law enforcement agency, such as a police department or prosecutor’s office evidencing the individual was in fact the victim of an eligible crime and that the victim has been willing and able to assist in the investigation and prosecution of the crime.

Once the individual has obtained the certification, they ma file a petition for a U visa with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petition will include the certification and other supporting documents, such as evidence of the crime and the individual’s relationship to the perpetrator.

After the petition is filed, the individual will undergo a background check and an interview with a USCIS officer. If the petition is approved, the individual will receive a U visa, which allows them to live and work in the United States for up to four years. After three years, the individual may be eligible to apply for a Permanent Resident card, or “green card”, which is a document that allows them to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis.

Obtaining a U visa is a complex process requiring specific documentation, and it is important for an individual to consult with an immigration attorney to understand their options and the potential risks and consequences. It is also important to note there are only a limited number of U visas available each year, so it is important to apply as soon as possible in any calendar year. Call today for a case evaluation!